The moment reputation meshed with reality came on Highway 7, running through Port Sandfield, north of Port Carling, along picturesque Lake Rosseau.
I have done several Muskoka drives this summer, but rarely did I come across a stretch of road custom fit for the car I was driving.
That’s what happened driving the 2018 Porsche Panamera 4 E-Hybrid, along that northern roadway, freshly paved, so flat and clean it felt like I was brought in exclusively to break it in.
It was the way the road weaved and wound, at a time of the day – twilight – where there was no traffic, where I could fully gain an appreciation for the high level of quality of the vehicle.
The Panamera is super fast (462 horsepower, 516 pound/foot of torque, V6 twin turbo and hybrid motors). The car handles so well, with amazing suspension, low to the ground, solid – instant power in the Sport Plus mode. The rare time I encountered rougher road, I barely felt the bumps, and the car still held firm when it needed to be.
The engine becomes even more responsive in Sport Plus mode. For me, that’s where the real fun started.
The rev-limiter is adjusted to a harder setting. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) and Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control Sport (PDCC Sport) are retuned for harder damping and more direct turn-in. The adaptive air suspension drops to Low Level and firms the spring rate.
The Porsche Stability Management (PSM) is supplemented with a “Sport” mode. It allows for a significantly better sporty driving style. The PDCC is an active roll stabilization system that registers the lateral inclination of the body induced by cornering and acts to suppress it.
That’s why you will feel the great stability, traction and agility on a winding country road.
Head here to see more of what Porsche is offering.
- Layout/number of cylinders: Twin-turbocharged V6/Electric Motor
- Max power (hp): 330 hp
- At rpm: 5,250-6,500 rpm
- torque: 331 lb-ft
- At rpm: 1,750-5,000 rpm
- Hybrid specific details: 14 kWh lithium-ion battery with on-board charger
- Max power electric motor (hp): 136 hp
- Max torque electric motor (lb-ft): 295 lb-ft
- Total power combined (hp): 462 hp
- Total torque combined (lb-ft): 516 lb-ft
- Panamera 4 E-Hybrid
- Chalk colour
- Standard Interior in Black
- 20” Panamera Turbo Wheels
- Brushed Aluminum Interior Package
- ParkAssist (Front and Rear) including Surround View
- Adaptive Cruise Control including Porsche Active Safe
- 4-Zone Climate Control
- 2 kW Onboard Charger
- Premium Package Plus, including Comfort Access, Seat Heating, Lane Change Assist, Soft Close Doors, BOSE Surround Sound System, and 14-way Power Seats with Memory Package
- LED-Matrix Headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System
- PRICE AS TESTED: $137,340