A tip of the hat to the classic Steve McQueen movie Bullitt from 1968, featuring a V8 Ford Mustang GT Fastback and one of the greatest car chase scenes in movie history (chasing a Dodge Charger through the streets of San Francisco). Luxury? It all starts with that V8 engine (the most powerful GT ever) and deep, throaty, muscle exhaust.
Silver-trimmed rims, plain black grill, dark, forest green (you can also order it in black) – all throwbacks to the movie car. But the interior – digital instrument cluster (where you can adjust the exhaust), audio system, touch screen communication and navigation system, driver assist touches like the exterior cameras – gives it just enough modern touches. The car overall is a wonderful balance between retro and the present day GT performance package. Best of both worlds.
Anyone who remembers the classic movie will really appreciate what Ford has done with the car. Millennials? You might be surprised at their reaction. While they won’t remember the movie, they will love the car.
- 5.0 Litre V8, 480 HP
- 6-Speed Manual Transmission
- The Bullitt car is an extension of the Mustang GT Premium, and starts at $57,525
- 12 Speaker Audio System
- Voice-activated, Touch-activated Navigation System
- Base Recaro Leather Seats
- Variety of driving modes – from normal to sport to comfort, even track, adjusting steering, suspension and engine calibrations
- MagneRide Damping System = firmer ride, smoothing out the roughest of roads
- 12″ LCD Digital Instrument Cluster
- Blind Spot Information System with Cross-Traffic Alert
- Active Valve Performance Exhaust System with Quad Tips
- Red Painted Brembo Brake Calipers
- 19-Inch Five Spoke Heritage Wheel Aluminum
- Price as tested: $61,650